Sunday, March 30, 2014

School Days by Luke and Sedona

This week, we convinced Luke and Sedona to share a few thoughts about their respective schools, so here they are without further ado:

Luke and Sedona in their school uniforms on Luke's first day of school 

Luke
I am year 6 which is 5th grade.  I go to Saint Heliers Primary School.  I walk 5 min. to school. I take maths, news, reading and spelling quizzes.   In sports at school right now I play cricket. I am learning a few words in Maori (the native people’s language in NZ) and Mandarin.  I like to play handball with my friends each day at recess.  I am participating in Battle of the Books, and I have to read ten books by the second term.  We don’t have to wear shoes in the classroom or for sports.  I am looking forward to my rugby season starting next Saturday.                            

I was very happy to Skype with my friends back home in Mrs. Moles’ class today, because I really miss them.                                        
Luke's school
Luke winning an award at the first Merit Assembly of the year

Sedona
I am a Year 10 (equivalent to 9th Grade) at Glendowie College, which is what they call a high school. School is a lot different here. First of all, everyone walks to school. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to school. And they don’t use percentage or letter grades. Instead they give you either Not Achieved, Achieved, Achieved with Merit, or Achieved with Excellence. They also have a period set aside for Morning Teatime. They don’t have a cafeteria; everyone just sits outside and eats. The classes I am taking are Math, English, Social Studies, Science, Enterprise Studies, Drama, and Music. My favorite is drama.


Something I am really looking forward to is my trip to Wellington with my form class.

Sedona at the entrance to Glendowie College

Sedona's school band playing at the Sandcastle Festival at St. Heliers Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment